LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18)– Wednesday is National Kick Butts Day! A day aimed at encouraging adult smokers to quit and preventing kids from starting.
This year’s theme is “Kick Juul” — the e-cigarette that has become popular among youth across the country.
In Kentucky, 14.1 percent of high school students use e-cigarettes, while 14.3 percent smoke cigarettes.
There will be several “Kick Butts” events around the state, including:
- The Kentucky Public Health Association in Bowling Green will host a campus-wide Cigarette Butt Clean Up Day at Western Kentucky University for students to raise awareness on the effects of tobacco and help kick start an initiative to have a tobacco-free campus. Time: 10 AM. Location: Western Kentucky University, 1906 College Heights Boulevard, Bowling Green. Contact: Mackenzie Pennington (270) 505- 5022.
- Students from Champions for a Drug-Free Lyon County in Eddyville will hold a tobacco protest where they will create signs with tobacco-related death statistics and display shoes representing those who have died because of tobacco use. Time: 11:30 AM. Location: Lyon County High School, 209 W. Fairview Ave, Eddyville. Contact: Nancye Daniel (270) 625-0995.
- At Grant County High School in Florence, youth will sign a pledge wall to be tobacco-free and write to policy makers to advocate for schools in Kentucky to be tobacco free. Time: 10 AM. Location: 7056 Burlington Pike, Florence. Contact: Camille Croweak (859) 907-4534.
- Boone County High School students in Florence designed t-shirts and a snapchat filter to draw classmates’ attentions to the dangers of tobacco. They will sign a postcard in support of the statewide tobacco-free schools bill and distribute informational brochures. Time: 7 AM. Location: Boone County High School, 7056 Burlington Pike, Florence. Contact: Abby Beausir (859) 835-8809.
- Students at Williamstown High School in Williamstown, will wear self-designed Kick Butts Day t-shirts, sign a pledge to be tobacco-free and write postcards to legislators to advocate for tobacco-free schools in Kentucky. Time: 10 AM. Location: 300 Helton Road, Williamstown. Contact: Elizabeth Bishop (513) 289-8585.
For a full list of Kick Butts Day activities in Kentucky, visit www.kickbuttsday.org/map.