WOODFORD COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) — An electrical fire destroyed the home of a Versailles family with six children Monday morning.
“I guess I never fully thought this was a possibility,” said Tabitha Nichols.
She left home Monday but realized that she forgot something, so she turned around.
“I just walk up the stairs and I could hear the alarms and I never, it wasn’t registering that the kitchen is smoke, it’s just smoke,” said Nichols. “Everything they taught me in elementary school just fled, I’m thinking, ‘What do I do?'”
When the windows started shattering, she called 911. The fire destroyed all in its path, starting in the back. The fire department told the Nichols family that the fire started in their 12-year-old daughter’s bedroom because of some of the wires in the wall. The wall caught fire, then her bedroom and then quickly spread to the rest of the home.
Nichols said that they knew they had old wiring and that is why they had been remodeling room by room. Given her husband is a former volunteer firefighter, they thought they were prepared.
“We would do fire drills in the house and have the kids practice getting out of here and going across the street, and stay by that tree. Do not come back in here,” she said.
Nichols said she is just grateful her six children and husband weren’t inside. Now, they need help starting over.
They are hoping that through a GoFundMe page and community support, they’ll be restarting will happen soon. You can donate to their GoFundMe here .