FRANKFORT, Ky. (LEX 18) — Gov. Matt Bevin is seeking input on a hairy situation: His face.
Bevin, who has sported a salt-and-pepper beard in recent months, is raising money for first lady Glenna Bevin’s #WeAreKY! Inc. foundation.
For $1 per vote, people visiting the Shave or Grow website can choose among five options for the commonwealth’s hirsute executive to adopt for his new look.
The options are:
- Option No. 1 – The Samson (a continued full beard, inspired by the Old Testament judge)
- Option No. 2 – The Anchorman (a 1970s-style mustache, à la fictional newsman Ron Burgundy)
- Option No. 3 – The Fu Manchu (a horseshoe-shaped goatee, on frequent display during the 1980s)
- Option No. 4 – The Colonel (a Van Dyke beard, in homage to iconic poultry purveyor Col. Harland Sanders)
- Option No. 5 – The Clean Shave (the runaway favorite of most post 19th-century Commonwealth chief executives)
“For three months I have heard many comments about my beard. Most women hate it, 100 percent of bearded men love it, and most folks have opinions somewhere in between,” Bevin said in a statement. “Glenna and I have a passion for Kentucky’s 9,000 foster youth and ask you to please consider making a generous tax-deductible contribution to the #WeAreKY! Foundation.
“You can help make a big difference in the life of a young person in the Commonwealth — and have fun letting your opinion on my facial hair be heard while you’re doing it. Vote early and often!”
Online voting ends at 11 a.m. Oct. 10.