Lexington, KY | Count on LEX 18

Here is the latest Kentucky news from The Associated Press at 9:40 p.m. EDT

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A former Miss America is among 19 candidates seeking office for down-ballot races in Kentucky that include secretary of state, agriculture commissioner, treasurer and auditor. The open office of secretary of state drew the most challengers with four Democrats and four Republicans seeking to succeed Democratic incumbent Alison Lundergan Grimes, who can’t run again due to term limits.

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — An appeals court says the University of Kentucky failed to obey the state’s open-records law when it refused to provide a campus newspaper with redacted documents pertaining to a sexual misconduct investigation. A three-judge Court of Appeals panel ruled Friday that the state’s flagship university had failed to comply with the open-records law “in any meaningful way.”

BENTON, Ky. (AP) — A Kentucky judge has ruled that the trial of a teenager accused of killing two schoolmates will be moved to another county. News outlets report Marshall County Circuit Judge James Jameson on Friday granted a request sought by lawyers for 17-year-old Gabriel Parker. Parker is accused of shooting and killing Preston Cope and Bailey Holt and injuring 14 others at Marshall County High School on Jan. 23, 2018.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Prosecutors have obtained a guilty plea in a case against three former corrections officers involved in an assault on a handcuffed inmate in Louisville. The Courier Journal reports 22-year-old Devan Edwards testified that he didn’t stop Officer David Schwartz, a former Marine, from assaulting then-19-year-old inmate Terry Whitehead. Body camera video recorded the beating. Schwartz has pleaded not guilty deprivation of rights under the color of law.

Scroll to top